The amazing people of CF NYC teamed up to tell the story of my accident and how Crossfit has made a major impact on my recovery. The very talented Mead Jackson (check her photography/videography out and then follow her on Instagram) and Steve Gardner (he is found here, and on insta too!) told my story in such a meaningful way that it brought me (and my mum) to tears. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. This is a story I keep very close to my heart, and the talented creatives who filmed this video made me feel so comfortable bravely sharing my experience with the world. You can watch the video on the CF NYC website. I hope you love it as much as I do.
Now many of you know that food and cooking has been as pivotal in my recovery as physical fitness has been. To highlight this other important aspect of recovery and wellness, Mead came over to get some footage of me cooking. I made up the recipe on the spot during the filming with what I could get my hands on at the Fort Greene Farmers Market that very morning. It may have been a hodgepodge, super quick lunch but it did not disappoint! So without further ado I give you not only the awesome video, but this really awesome, really simple vegan soup recipe! Enjoy 🙂
Creamy (Vegan) Summer Squash Soup
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 5 cloves Garlic (more or less depending on your preference)
- 2 tsp of minced ginger (or more to taste)
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp of basil
- 1/2 tsp of chili
- a dash of cayenne .
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 lb summer squash (green or yellow zucchini, pattypan Squash, cousa squash. zephyr squash etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- add the coconut oil to a large stock pot
- mince the garlic and ginger and add to the pot
- dice the onion and add to the pot. Sauté everything until fragrant
- While cooking, chop the squash into chunks (I leave the skin on)
- Add the coconut milk and stock to the pot.
- Stir in the basil, chili, and cayenne.
- Stir in the squash. Bring everything to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender (or traditional blender) puree soup until smooth.
4 thoughts on “Creamy (Vegan) Summer Squash Soup”
Another great recipe from the “house of Jordan”. Will be trying this one as well. :). Emotional time for a certain Dad too.
Renee, this is so wonderful and so well deserved! I’m so inspired every time I hear your story. (and YAY for another recipe – you know how I feel about yours soups!!!)
You’re the best 🙂 and thank you. Just trying to keep up with you and all your awesome fit foodie-Ness 💖