Our friend Aaron arrives tonight to visit us for the weekend. Before trekking out Boston to pursue his dreams, all the boys use to spend nearly every evening in our apartment. They always made sure to come just before dinner. So I had to make sure I scrounged up a good, home cooked meal for his arrival. I opted for a healthy, hearty Chiptole Chicken and Rice soup that is an excellent way to use up leftover chicken in your fridge. This dish is flavorful and rich; it’s perfect for a chilly January evening.
Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of spicy salsa
- 28 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of black rice
- cayenne to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 cup of black beans
- 2.5 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
- diced avocado to top
- Add the coconut oil to a large soup pot.
- Dice the yellow, red and orange bell peppers, jalapeños and onion and add to the pot.
- Mince the garlic and add to the pot. Sauté until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Add the salsa, crushed tomatoes, water and black rice.
- Stir in cayenne, salt, pepper, cilantro and lime. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until the rice is cooked (about 10 minutes)
- Shred the chicken if you haven’t already.
- Stir in shredded chicken and black beans. Allow to heat through (about 2 minutes)
- Serve and top with avocado. Enjoy!