Jameson just started a new job with Johnson and Johnson (yay! go Jay!) and is back in full swing of constant travel. On the nights he is out of town I take the opportunity to experiment with new vegan recipes. Over the passing months I had been seeing a plethora of instagram posts of “Zoats” pop up in my feed and got curious. Now I must confess I don’t actually like oatmeal. What I do know it is an excellent source of fiber and trace minerals that aren’t commonly found in most foods but the struggle is real for me to eat it in any form but cookie form. So I figured I should step out of my comfort zone to try out Zoats (Zucchini+oatmeal) and see if I could wrap my palate around porridge. Turns out it isn’t terrible, was really quick to whip up, and kept me full. Best of all this vegan, gluten-free dish packs in a solid serving of veggies. Give it a whirl and see what you think!
Serves one person
- 1 small zucchini
- 3/4 cup of oats
- 1 cup of water (for creamier Zoats replace some or all of the water with almond milk)
- 1/2 cup of vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder
- Oatmeal toppings of our choosing. For example, fresh berries, sliced almonds, banana, cinnamon, shredded coconut. (for topping inspiration check out #Zoats)
- Sweetener of your choosing (optional)
- grate the zucchini finely and place in a small pot
- add the oats, water and almond milk to the bottom and heat over medium heat for four to five minutes (or until oats are cooked)
- stir in protein powder and sweetener if using
- Top with desired toppings (I do strawberries and bananas)
Like what you see? I would love to connect. Let’s be FRIENDS!
Instagram: @reneejordan | Twitter: @missus_jay | Pinterest: ReneeJordan | Facebook: The Jordan Project