Autumn is all about apples. Whether it is apple picking, apple cider or apple pie I am a major fan. Don’t even get me started about the apple cider doughnuts from Bad Seed Cider co. each week at the Fort Green Green market. We have gone nearly every week for the doughnuts alone. We try to balance our indulgences by picking up some actual locally grown apples. But then cave and turn them into dessert. So I have gone and done my best to clean up the traditional apple crisp with this gluten-free, vegan and nearly paleo rendition. Happy fall everyone!
Simple, Gluten-Free, Vegan Apple Crisp
Makes on Crisp
- 6 cups apples
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 2 table spoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut (or almond) flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup butter (or oil if going Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Chop the apples into small cubes (I leave my skins on for extra nutrients) and place in a large bowl
- Stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice. Then press entire mixture into baking dish.
- In another bowl stir together oats, flour, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Melt butter, and stir into mixture. Pour on top of apple mixture and press down.
- Place in the oven and bake for thirty to thirty five minutes or until golden on top