So there is nothing paleo or vegan about this dish, but trust me it is so worth the indulgence. I know, I know, I bragged that our Canadian Thanksgiving menu was filled with paleo, vegan and clean eats. But rules are meant to be broken, and this recipe is so worth bending the guidelines for. My justification for its inclusion is that every year without fail my super host of an Aunty preps some Mac and Cheese, because it is my cousin Graeme’s favourite side dish. So in my mind no Thanksgiving table is complete without a little Mac and Cheese. After you try this recipe I am pretty confident you will agree.
Slow Cooked, Creamy Mac and Cheese
Makes 12 serving
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in a 2 large pot with plenty of water until tender (about 7 to 10 minutes). Drain Macaroni and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and cheese. Stir continuously.
- In slow cooker, stir in the cheese/butter mixture, eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper
- Stir in the pasta
- Cook on low for three hours.
- Serve and enjoy!