This is our third Canadian Thanksgiving in New York. Being expats we have the pleasure of celebrating two Thanksgivings a year like the true gluttons we are. Each year when the Canadian version of the holiday roles around we wrangle a gaggle of our nearest and dearest Americans and try to make them a touch more Canadian.
In all seriousness though, we are incredibly fortunate to live out a real life Friends episode each and every day. We have amassed an incredible group of close, dynamic friends who have become our second family. Whether it is big events, or small moments we are truly thankful to be able to walk through this life with them. Each and every single one enriches us beyond measure in a way even the most eloquent words couldn’t capture. So although it doesn’t fully quell the homesickness of being far away from my traditional family on Thanksgiving, I am glad to have some pretty rad New Yorkers to celebrate the occasion with.
Now on to the food! I switched the menu up a little from last year. Again I strove to meet the gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, paleo dietary needs of my guests (with a few very needed exceptions). Based on the accolades and praise I received, I would say this year’s menu was a gland slam. Today you will find my recipe for Paleo Brocoli and Cauliflower Casserole. But don’t fret in the coming days I will continue to share the new recipes I whipped up for this years event, so keep checking back. Until then, Happy CANADIAN Thanksgiving to all!
Our Thanksgiving 2015 Menu:
Served 12 with tons of leftovers to spare
- Pomegranate-Blueberry Glazed Roast Turkey
- Mushroom-Leek Gluten Free stuffing
- Curried Coconut Yam Casserole
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Ginger and Pear
- Homemade Mushroom Gravy
- Paleo Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
- Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooked Mac and Cheese
- Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Balls
- Butter Brickle Ice Cream Dessert
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Paleo Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
- 2 lb Broccoli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 yellow Onion
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of chili
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs (optional: skip if going Vegan)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13 casserole dish.
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower and place in a double boiler. Steam until tender.
- While the the vegetables are steaming, mince the garlic and chop the onion finely.
- Add the garlic and onions to your casserole dish.
- Season with thyme, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables to the onion, garlic and spices, and gently stir until combined.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut milk.
- Carefully pour the eggs and coconut milk over the vegetables, being sure to coat all evenly.
- Season once more with salt and pepper, and place in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.