I know I have mentioned the busyness of our everyday life recently, followed by sincere promises that we were still managing to cook all our meals from scratch and that it is merely lack of time that has kept me from sharing them with you. However, we have been trying to intentionally slow our pace and carve out time for the things and people that matter. For me that has meant allocating ample time for concocting new recipes, as well as to photograph and pen them. It has also meant connecting with the friends we love most. Sometimes we combine the two. So last Friday our nearest and dearest, Jens, wasn’t feeling well, and I have also just been getting over a cold so we decided to pit in, cook dinner and watch the latest hunger games. I know, we get real wild and real crazy on Friday nights 🙂 It was a perfectly quiet time of good food with even greater friends.
Paleo Shrimp and Sausage Stir-Fry with Kale, Broccolette & Homemade Peanut Sauce
Serves 4 hungry people
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 3 bunches of broccolette (aka baby broccoli)
- 1/2 cup of carrots (grated)
- 1/2 lb of peeled shrimp
- 3 chicken or turkey sausages (we usually use habanero chicken sausages
- 3 cups of kale
Simple Homemade Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter (swap for almond butter if strict Paleo. It still tastes good)
- juice of two limes
- 2 tbsp of apple cider (or rice wine) vinegar
- 2 tbsp of date syrup (or agave nectar)
- 1 clove of crushed or minced garlic (or 1/2 tsp of garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp (or more if desired) of chili paste (such as sriracha)
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 3 tbsp of water (more if needed to thin)
- Add the coconut oil to a large wok and begin to heat on medium heat.
- Dice the bell pepper and onion and add to the wok.
- Mince the garlic and add to the wok.
- Deseed and mince the jalapeño and add to the wok. Turn the heat to high and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Chop the broccolette and add to the wok.
- Grate the carrots and add to the wok.
- Dice the sausage into rounds and add to the wok.
- Stir in the shrimp.
- While the vegetables sauté, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the peanut butter, lime juice, vinegar, date syrup/agave nectar, garlic, chili paste, soy sauce.
- Keep adding water to the sauce until it reaches the desired thickness. For this recipe I keep it on the thin side so that it evenly coats all the vegetables.
- Stir in the peanut sauce to evenly coat the stir fry
- Chop the kale and stir into the wok.
- Continue to sauté until the kale darkens and wilts.
- Serve immediately.