So I am all about the bowls lately. We alas moved to a country that has Chipotle, and could not be happier with that life choice. Yes, I know Vancouver you got one just after we left but that still would have left it’s exceptional goodness a two hour boat ride with an additional hour drive away from our hearts and stomachs. So lately I have been recreating my own bowls in my kitchen, and here is another such bowl masterpiece. This one has both vegan and almost paleo versions for your culinary enjoyment. With the added bonus they are quick, and makes minimal mess during the prep process. So for us, who has seen Jay bounce around between different times zones 5 times in the last 10 days, while I have midterms looming in the way too near future, we welcomed a recipe that requires little hands on time and even litter clean up.
Makes 2 Large Bowls (or 4 small bowls)
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 yam
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 1 to 2 tsp of chili paste
- 1 stalk of baby broccoli
- 1/2 a cauliflower
- 4 cups of Kale
- 2 to 4 eggs (depending on how many you are serving)
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 can of black beans
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan with a lid.
- Chop the yams into small bite sized pieces. Add to the frying pan and sauté until tender (about 10 minutes)
- Add the broth to the frying pan.
- Mince the garlic and add to the yams right away.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, ginger and chili paste. Place cover on the pan and continue to cook.
- Chop the broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces and add the the frying pan.
- Soft Boil the eggs:
- In a small pot bring a full pot of water to a roaring bowl.
- Place the eggs into the boiling water
- Boil for 5 minutes
- Remove and cool
- Peel the eggs
- Stir in the kale and continue to cook.
- Stir in the salsa.
- Mince the cilantro and stir into the vegetables. Continue to cook until everything is tender
- Stir in the black beans and heat through (about 4 minutes).
- Place into bowls and top with one egg per bowl. Then Serve.
- Skip the eggs if you are going vegan it will still be awesome
- You can also skip the black beans if you want to be stricter about your paleo lifestyle.