Everyone in this city is fascinated with juicing (not the performance enhancing drugs), and we are frequently asked if we partake in such pleasures. I have a smoothie each morning for breakfast but I don’t think that would constitute me a juicer. What we do in fact do though is make everything from scratch. Be is hummus or salsa to pasta sauce or soup, we whip it without using extra sugars, oils or any manufactured additives and preservatives. We eat whole foods, and make most of our meals in house so we don’t do anything to supplement our nutritional needs in terms of different diets and cleanses. Tonight’s soup is one such example of this philosophy, which I shared with my lovely friend Madeline, as we caught up on the coming semester and our time over the holidays. So if you want a nutrient rich, hearty, veggie laden meal that is as tasty as it is healthy this would be the soup for you. Enjoy 🙂
Creamy Coconut, Sweet Potato and Avocado Soup
- a small amount of coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chili pepper
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp of cumin
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1/2 tsp of chili paste
- 1 sweet potato or yam
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of kale leaves (no stems)
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- In a large soup pot add the oil and garlic
- Chop the chili, bell peppers and onion and add to the soup. Sauté until soft.
- Add the cumin, salt, coriander and chili paste to your veggies and continue to sauté.
- Chop the sweet potato and add to the soup.
- Add the coconut milk and broth. Bring entire soup to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the kale into the soup and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Juice the lime and add the juice to the soup.
- Remove from the heat, then dice the avocado flesh and add to the soup.
- Purée using an emersion blender or a traditional blender until smooth.
- Sour cream