It’s fall in the city, and it is chilly outside. So inside we Jordan’s are keeping it warm and cozy. Butternut Squash soup my favorite soup, and one of the best ways to stay toasty. For the longest time I never attempted it on my own because I had written it off as too complex and time consumptive. My mom also makes a killer butternut soup, that even still mine can’t hold a candle to. Although maybe that is just the sentimentality inside me speaking since I tend to whip up this soup on the days I miss her a little more than usual. Nonetheless, this soup isn’t complicated and is actually pretty efficient to make. A quick chop, boil and purée and you are set to serve. Enjoy.
Sweet Butternut Squash Soup
- Coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp of ginger root
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 litre of vegetable broth
- 2 lbs of butternut squash
- 1/2 a cauliflower
- 1 apple
- 1 plum
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the oil to a large soup pot.
- Chop the onion and add to the pot.
- Mince the garlic and ginger and add to the pot.
- Season the vegetables with cinnamon and sauté until the onions are tender
- Add the broth to the pot.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into small cubes and cauliflower and add to the soup. Then bring the entire soup to a boil.
- Once boiled, cover and reduce the heat. Then chop the apple and plum into small cubes and add to the soup. Simmer until apples and vegetables are tender
- Season with salt and pepper and purée soup with an immersion blender or traditional blender.
- Serve and enjoy.