We are at that age where so many things are happening -babies, marriages, graduations from grad school, world travels, home buying and so much more. It is an exciting time as we all enter adulthood. So tonight we got together with some dear, old friends to celebrate all of the monuments milestones we all seem to be hitting simultaneously. So this was our House warming/Ben and Kort are getting married/ Tang and Michelle are engaged/Justin got his MBA/ Elena got her masters/We are moving/Ryan’s birthday/Ben and Kort are home party.
For the occasion Jay and I walked up to our local butcher, Island Meat and Seafood, to grab two local, organic, grass fed, hormone free (all you west coasties can rejoice) pork shoulders. We lathered it in our homemade rub, doused it in BBQ sauce, let it marinate over night, then poured some local Philips root beer over it and slow cooked it to perfection for 10 hours. Now I don’t eat meat, so I can’t can’t say for sure, but the resounding feedback was that it was succulently flavourful and the homemade root beer gravy (recipe coming soon) was a hit.
Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 pork shoulder
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh chives
- 1 can or bottle of root beer
- Mix together the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl.
- Place pork shoulder into your slow cooker and cover in rub.
- Slather roast in BBQ sauce.
- Mince the garlic and chives and sprinkle on top of the roast.
- Place in the fridge and let marinate over night (or as long as possible)
- Remove from the fridge and pour the root beer over top of the roasts
- Set the slow cooker to low and let simmer for 10 hours
- Remove from the slow cooker and use a fork to shred the roast
- Serve on buns with Root Beer Gravy (from the reduced slow cooker juices), cold slaw (we use kale) and enjoy.