Thank you to whoever the mastermind was who took some of the sweetness out of cake, name it “muffins” and deemed them a breakfast food. You have done the world a great service that even the designers behind Kate Spade can celebrate.
I tend to enjoy my muffins as treats or an accompaniment to fresh steeped tea, rather than breakfast. This light and fluffy muffin is one of my favorite guilt free sweets, and with an equal part fruit to flour ratio, no egg, butter or refined sugar it really isn’t all that much like cake. So go ahead eat this “cake” for breakfast.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 4 previously frozen bananas (or just very, very ripe)
- ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
- ¼ of honey
- 1 ¾ cup of flour (your choice: spelt, wheat, rice, quinoa, coconut etc.)
- 1 ½ tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ¾ cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 12 muffin cups
- Peel the bananas and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the bananas, coconut oil and honey until smooth using a whisk or whisk attachment on a stand mixer.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to the banana mixture. Beat on high, with a paddle attachment or spoon, until well combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into the 12 muffins tins and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow them to cool slightly and serve.