Happy rainy Sunday everyone.Well the sun decided not to come out today and after spending the morning outside at the polo fields in a little west coast drizzle for our church picnic we were looking for something warm and nourishing for dinner. Tonight we are nestled in with a movie, a delicious homemade soup and are at last unwinding for the first time in what feels like weeks of nonstop action. This sweet and savoury homemade soup was the perfect answer for our cozy night in, when our energy levels would not have permitted a lengthy labour intensive meal preparation. Today simplicity truly is best.
Roasted Banana Squash, Peach and Green Apple Soup
- 1 banana squash
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of minced fresh ginger root
- ½ tsp of fresh crushed chili paste
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 green apple
- 1 peach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half and arrange on the baking sheet. Then roast the squash for 45 minutes. When it is done remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Next, add the coconut oil to a large soup pot.
- Dice the onion and add to the soup pot.
- Add the mince garlic, minced ginger and chili paste to the soup pot. Sauté everything until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the vegetable broth.
- Peel the skin off the squash with a paring knife, cut the flesh into chunks and add to the soup.
- Next, dice the apple and peach and add them to the soup.
- Bring entire soup to a boil, then cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes (or until the apples have softened)
- Remove from the stove, season with salt and pepper and purée until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy